What is SoundScan?
SoundScan is a tracking system that assists in recording your sales to Billboard. SoundScan tracks sales of music and music video products throughout the United States and Canada. Any music product that carries a UPC or EAN barcode and ISRC code is eligible to be tracked by SoundScan.
Why do I need to submit to SoundScan?
If you want to have a chance at making the Billboard music charts, your release must be registered with SoundScan using a UPC number (for the whole album) and ISRC codes (for the individual tracks). Without registration, the sales figures will not be counted and will remain invisible to the system.
Some retailers and streaming providers report sales and streams to SoundScan. In order for your album to be considered for reporting, you need to ensure that it is registered with SoundScan, which atVenu will automatically do for you when registering for the SoundScan product.
Do I receive access to the data?
With using atVenu, YES YOU DO. You will have historical records of all of your data ( sales numbers, transactions, unit sales, down to each show date. atVenu also tracks other merchandise, not just music sales so you can keep record of all merchandise sales, apparel, accessories, and music) all in one location.
Is using atVenu going to submit my sales faster?
YES. Using atVenu helps with you having a digital history of your sales, a way to keep track of your submissions status', and the best part...no manual write ups and extra emails. No extra work.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a SoundScan reporting app?
SoundScan doesn't have their own app, but having an account with atVenu you can use the app to submit your sales digitally.
How do I report sales to Billboard? Are those the same thing or different?
Reporting your sales to Billboard is the same thing as reporting to SoundScan. Billboard numbers are taken from SoundScan.
How do I check my SoundScan sales/reports?
In atVenu, under your account you have the ability to see the status of your SoundScan submissions. Our data and updates come directly from SoundScan so what information we show regarding your submissions is up to date. For more information and to check for your account click here
Other top questions:
- Can I change the number of music sales I submitted to SoundScan?
- Can I give fans a free album with ticket purchase and submit those sales to SoundScan?
- Can I see all of my music sales by year or by tour? (SoundScan Reporter)
- Can I submit Download Card sales to SoundScan?
- Can I submit European music sales to SoundScan?
- Can I submit music sales from a Church to CMTA?
- Can I submit online or digital sales to SoundScan?
- Can I submit Pre-Orders to SoundScan?
- Can I submit sales to SoundScan for Collaboration Albums?
- Can I submit sales to SoundScan from a show if I’m not actually performing?
- Do I have to uncheck the Pre-Order option once the album is released?
- How can I tell if my UPC/EAN is registered with SoundScan or CMTA?
- How do I edit a music item? (SoundScan Reporter)
- How do I register my UPC/EAN with SoundScan?
- How do I submit my nightly music sales to SoundScan? (Mobile)
- How do I submit my nightly music sales to SoundScan? (Web)
- How do I submit SoundScan sales to the Christian Music Trade Association (CMTA)?
- How to add music items (SoundScan Reporter)
- How to add shows to Routing (SoundScan Reporter)
- How to archive or delete a music item (SoundScan Reporter)
- I don't see any shows and I can’t submit my sales to SoundScan
- Is a Venue Rep signature required to submit sales to SoundScan?
- My UPC was not registered at time of submission (SoundScan Reporter)
Learn more about reporting your nightly music sales through atVenu
Want to learn more on how you report your nightly music sales to SoundScan through atVenu?
Have merch too? Sign up for an atVenu Merch Manager Account that also includes SoundScan!