Another Great Season
With summer coming to an end, we wanted to share some of the industry trends year-to-date (through August)
With over 60,000 shows and $350+ million in merchandise sales through atVenu so far for 2019, what does the data show? Let’s dive in!
- Avg $/head for the industry continues to grow with 2019 showing an average of $5.50 (+11% to 2018).
- Avg Gross Sales per show have increased +29% from 2018.
- K-Pop, Pop, and Hard Rock knocked it out of the park as the genres with the top 3 $/head averages.
- The Top Selling Merch Item selling 2x more than any other item is… you guessed it… a Black T-Shirt with the most common sizes tied at M and L
- 90% of everything purchased is merchandise, 10% is music
- UPDATE: Take a look at our full year in review!
Our résumé as to where these numbers and industry insights are coming from:
Top 15 Genres by Average $/Head
Top 15 Markets by Average $/Head
2019 High-Level Artist Trends
Curious as to where your bands’ merch business stacks up against the industry at large? Below are a few averages across the tens of thousands of shows year to date.
Most Purchased Item
And the top selling item? You guessed it, a T-Shirt. An interesting data point to highlight is the average sales price of shirts has increased by $2.
Average $/Head & Gross Sales by Attendance Grouping
Year to date, average $/Head increased by 11% and average Gross Sales increased by 29% from 2018. The biggest trend bucking change is the 10-15K attendance grouping which experienced higher averages than 15-20K. 10-15K shows this year were dominated by Pop & Rap artists who all produced higher avg. gross sales than the 15-20K grouping which was primarily Country artists.
See our 2019 Year in Review for all music merchandise where we go through some of the top music merch insights and highlight the importance of music merchandise. And if you are planning on going on tour, take a look at how we help maximize sales for artists while on tour.